Bears Fall Short in 2-1 Loss on Capitals Night
October 7, 2018The Hershey Bears closed opening weekend on Sunday night with a 2-1 defeat at Giant Center. Former Bear Chris Bourque scored in his return to Giant Center in the second period.
After a scoreless opening frame, Bridgeport cashed in off a 5-on-3 power play. Bourque bombed a center point shot past Bears goaltender Vitek Vanecek at the 6:56 mark in the second period. But nearly seven minutes later, the Chocolate and White drew even. Michael Sgarbossa walked into the offensive zone on a breakaway following a stretch pass along the right wing from Shane Gersich. Sgarbossa beat Sound Tigers goaltender Jeremy Smith to even the score at the 13:51 mark. The tally marked Sgarbossa's second goal in as many nights, and in as many games with the Bears. Shots after 40 minutes were 18-14 Bridgeport.
For the second straight night, the Bears took a tied hockey game into the third period and fell short by one goal. Only 2:56 into the third period, the Bears allowed their second power play goal against for the second time in as many nights. Steve Bernier beat Vanecek moving to his left from in close for the eventual game-winner.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Friday for the start of their Midwest road trip. The Bears will face-off against the Grand Rapids Griffins at 7 PM. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
- HotGIANT Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss Collects 31,381 Stuffed Animals
- HotBears Announce Schedule For 2020-21 Season
- HotBears Announce Roster for 2021 Training Camp presented by Planet Fitness
- GAME ON! Bears to Play in 2020-21 Season Starting Feb. 5
- 2019-20 Season Cancelled: Frequently Asked Questions
- Bears Ink Defenders O'Gara and Willcox to Tryout Agreements
- GIANT Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss & Food Drive Set for January 23
- Bears Promote Riedel to Head Trainer, Hire Fliszar
- Bears Assign Six to South Carolina
- 2020 Offseason Player Tracker