We have implemented enhanced safety measures to address the inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 that exists in any public place. Review safety protocols

Home Game

vs 4-17 | 1 PM


Last Game
1st 2nd 3rd Final
Hershey Bears 1 0 1 2
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 0 0 0 0
Hershey Bears News


November 1, 2014

WORCESTER, Mass.– Danill Tarasov scored two goals, one of which came in a two-goal second period for the Worcester Sharks, and the hosts fended off a late charge to hang on for a 5-4 decision over the Hershey Bears on Saturday night at DCU Center.

Goaltender Pheonix Copley’s shutout streak that lasted more than two full games came to a quick end, as just 1:50 into the game, Worcester drew first blood.  Konrad Abeltshauser’s slap shot from the left point would deflect off of traffic in front.  Copley went down to anticipate the shot, but the puck went right to Jeremy Langlois who spun a backhand pass quickly across the slot.  Tarasov wasted no time in firing it home for a 1-0 Sharks lead.

The lead lasted just 14 seconds, however, as Joel Broda crashed the net guarded by Troy Grosenick and batted in a bouncing puck for his second of the season.

NHL veteran Tyler Kennedy, playing in Worcester on a conditioning loan, restored the hosts’ lead after Bryan Lerg beat Copley to a loose puck on the line delineating the no-touch corner zone.  Lerg centered the puck, and Kennedy backhanded it into the net before Copley could return at 8:57.

Hershey again pulled even at 5:15 of the second, off of a clean faceoff win by Tim Kennedy.  Erik Burgdoerfer hurried the puck across the blue line for Cameron Schilling, whose one-timer slid low and past a screened Grosenick.

Freddie Hamilton would put the Sharks ahead once more, taking a wrist shot from between the circles that flew past Copley’s blocker at 6:17.  Tarasov later scored his second and padded the lead by emerging from a tangle of bodies, skating toward the crease and deking Copley with a high backhand shot at 16:30.

Worcester tallied on a power play just 2:00 into the third to increase the lead to 5-2.  Micheal Haley camped out at the net front, grabbed the rebound of a Taylor Fedun point shot and stuffed it between Copley’s pads.

Hershey countered at 4:46 when Tomas Kundratek hurried a shot from the left half-boards toward the net.  Kris Newbury flatted his stick blade to make a perfect deflection over Grosenick’s glove, cutting the deficit to 5-3.

After failing on four minutes of power play time and following a successful penalty kill late in the third, the Bears would pull Copley in favor of a sixth attacker.  With 1:16 left to play, Steve Oleksy fired a puck that was on edge past Grosenick’s glove hand, cutting the Worcester lead to one goal.

The Bears were an inch away from tying the game with 20 seconds left, when Kundratek’s one-timer from the high slot rang off of the inside right post. 

Following a timeout, the Sharks were able to control the puck to the final horn.

Copley made 23 saves in suffering his first professional loss, and drops to 3-1-0 on the young season.  Grosenick stopped 19 of 23 shots to improve to 5-2-1.

Worcester’s win halted Hershey’s win streak at three games.

The Bears conclude their weekend road trip tomorrow, November 2, with a return to Verizon Wireless Arena for a 3:00 PM matchup against the Manchester Monarchs.  Fans may listen to the game on the Bears Radio Network of affiliates WQIC-FM 100.1, WTKT-AM 1460, WOYK-AM 1350 and iHeart Radio (1460 AM), or may watch the game for a fee on 

The Bears return home to battle the Hartford Wolf Pack on Saturday, November 8 at 7:00 PM.  Tickets for this game and all home contests may be purchased at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online at Information on group tickets and season tickets for the 2014-2015 Hershey Bears regular season is available by calling (717) 508-BEAR.  Many different flexible plans are offered and start as low as $170.
NOTES: The Bears scratches were D Connor Carrick, RW Chris Conner, RW Stan Galiev and D Patrick Wey…Three stars: 3-Taormina, 2-Abeltshauser, 1-Tarasov…Hershey finished the night 0-for-2 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill…The Bears allowed the game’s first goal for the first time all season.

Hershey Bears in a victory embrace

Join The Club!

Receive exclusive email with updates and offers.

Sign Me Up

device iconDownload the Applocation pin iconGet Directions