HERSHEY BEARS SIGN FORWARD DEREK WHITMORE FOR 2013-14Listen Now
Whitmore, 28, began the 2012-13 season dressing in seven games with the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps. He embarked for Europe late in November 2012 to sign on with the Augsburg Panthers (DEL), where in 26 games he recorded 23 points (nine goals, 14 assists) and 40 penalty minutes.
The 5-11, 185-pound native of Rochester, New York suited up for his hometown Americans for parts of two seasons. Whitmore appeared in eight games in AHL Rochester following the completion of his collegiate career in 2007-08, and later returned to lead the 2011-12 Amerks in goal scoring (28) while finishing third on the squad with 44 points (28 goals, 16 assists).
Whitmore’s longest AHL tenure featured his three seasons spent with the Portland Pirates. He dressed in 235 regular-season games, recording 103 points (56 goals, 47 assists) from 2008-09 through 2010-11, and added 13 points (seven goals, six assists) over three consecutive Calder Cup playoff years.
Whitmore attended Bowling Green State University (CCHA) prior to turning pro. He posted 102 points (70 goals, 32 assists) in 143 career games with the Falcons, and was named to the CCHA Second All-Star Team in his senior season.
Season tickets for the 2013-14 Hershey Bears regular season are on sale now by calling (717) 508-BEAR. Many different flexible plans are available and start as low as $165.
- NewGame Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bear Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Rally in Third, Fall in Overtime to Marlies
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Leach Signs AHL Deal, Returns to Stingrays
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Weekly Release #23: Busy Home Stretch Ahead
- Mason Mitchell Re-assigned to South Carolina