BEARS RETURN PATRICK WELLAR TO READING ROYALS
HERSHEY, Pa. – The HERSHEY BEARS announced today that the club has returned defenseman Patrick Wellar on loan to the Reading Royals (ECHL). The announcement was made by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst.
Wellar, 29, appeared in three games with HERSHEY in his most recent stint, going scoreless and even with 14 penalty minutes. Wellar also appeared in the BEARS’ home opener on October 20.
Wellar rejoins the blue line of a Royals team that has won three consecutive games and 15 of their last 17 overall. The Royals sit in second place in the ECHL’s Eastern Conference and hold first place in the Atlantic Division by 11 points. With the Royals, Wellar has recorded one goal, four assists and 25 penalty minutes in 18 games.
The 6-3, 230-pound native of Carrot River, SK is currently in his fifth season with the organization. He began his stay in Chocolatetown in 2008-09, when he scored one goal and two assists, added 37 penalty minutes and recorded a plus-3 rating in 21 games. In his HERSHEY tenure, Wellar has amassed 40 points (six goals, 34 assists), 421 penalty minutes and a cumulative plus-19 rating. He was also a member of the 2010 Calder Cup championship squad, chipping in six assists in the BEARS’ run to their second title in as many seasons.
Wellar has appeared in 242 total AHL games with HERSHEY, Toronto, Peoria and Worcester, registering seven goals and 38 assists. He was originally selected by the Washington Capitals in the third round (77th overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.
The BEARS return home to face the Worcester Sharks tomorrow, December 15 at 7:00 PM. The first 5,000 fans will receive an Outdoor Classic edition Coco bobblehead, courtesy of Capital BlueCross. Tickets for this game and all HERSHEY BEARS home games are on sale at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or online at TicketMaster.com.
- NewGame Preview: Bears at Admirals, 8 p.m.
- Lindros, Flyers Alumni to Battle Bears Alumni at Outdoor Classic
- Weekly Release #2: Bears Head to the Midwest
- Hershey's Don Biggs Named to 2018 AHL Hall of Fame Class
- Bears Rally Late, Fall 4-3 to Phantoms in Shootout
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 5 p.m.
- Senators Spoil Hershey's Home Opener with 5-2 Win
- Home Opener Preview: Senators at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bowey Recalled by Capitals
- Bears Weekly Release #1: 2017-18 Season Is Here