Next Home Game

vs 10-9 / 5 PM

Last Game

Hershey Bears 2 Cleveland Monsters 3

Be a fan in-the-know

With Game Information, Special Offers & More!



03/16/2014 -


HERSHEY, Pa. – Emerson Etem scored two goals and set up the other, and the Norfolk Admirals were able to hang on for a 3-2 victory over the Hershey Bears on Sunday evening, in front of 10,753 fans at GIANT Center.

Norfolk would take a 1-0 lead late in the opening period on a two-man advantage, but their lead was largely created by strong penalty killing. Hershey had three power plays of their own, on which the Admirals allowed a total of one shot. Then, with Ryan Stoa and Tyson Strachan serving minor penalties, Devante Smith-Pelly faked a shot on net from the left circle and instead fed the slot. Etem then one-timed the puck past Philipp Grubauer at 17:22.

The Admirals then scored just 50 seconds into a wild second period to take a 2-0 lead. A slow cross-ice pass by Etem that covered nearly the width of the offensive zone found its way to Andre Petersson. The winger then hurried a one-timer that beat a leaning Grubauer.

The Bears would finally get on the board after a scramble in front of the Norfolk net. David Kolomatis took a pass from Dane Byers and sent a shot from the left circle off the left pad of Gibson. The rebound bounced around for a few seconds before Michael Latta found it and buried it at 9:41.

Etem then put the Admirals back up by two goals after a Bears failed clearing bid. Garnet Exelby one-timed a Hershey clear back toward the net, and Etem was in front to deflect the puck off of the right goal post and past Grubauer at 13:26.

The Admirals were cruising with the two-goal lead, and earned a power play in the second period when Byers was whistled for a hooking minor. But instead, Tyson Strachan’s long shot out of the defensive zone was misplayed by Gibson and got through into the net at 16:25, for an unassisted shorthanded tally.

Neither team would score on a combined 30 third-period shots, allowing Norfolk to claim the victory.

Gibson made 35 saves on the night and improved to 19-14-4 on the season. Grubauer stopped 33 shots, but fell to 11-10-1.

With the loss, Hershey’s record fell to 31-23-4-4, and kept the club from climbing into the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

The Bears will embark on a three-day, three-city weekend road trip that begins with a 7:00 PM faceoff against the Providence Bruins at Dunkin’ Donuts Center on Friday, March 21. The team will return home to host the Albany Devils on Friday, March 28 at 7:00 PM. Tickets for this and all remaining home games are available by calling (717) 508-BEAR, by stopping into the GIANT Center box office or by visiting

NOTES: The Bears injury scratches were RW Dustin Gazley, D Tomas Kundratek, RW Garrett Mitchell and D Nate Schmidt…The healthy scratches were D Chay Genoway, C Ryan Potulny, RW Joel Rechlicz and D Patrick Wellar…Hershey finished the night 0-for-8 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.

Join The Club!

Receive exclusive email with updates and offers.

Sign Me Up
Giant Foods WQIC 100.1 Pepsi
Utz Penn State Bone and Joint Institute Fox Sports AM1460