GREENTREE SCORES BOTH IN 4-2 SETBACK
WILKES-BARRE TOWNSHIP, Pa. – Ben Street scored the game-winning goal with 6:02 remaining, overshadowing Kyle Greentree’s two goal effort and helping the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to a 4-2 win on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
The BEARS killed off three Penguins power plays before the first period was complete, but couldn’t hold off the fourth as Geoff Walker stationed himself at the net front to deflect a Jason Williams slap pass over Dany Sabourin’s shoulder. The goal gave the Penguins a 1-0 lead with 53.7 seconds remaining in the period.
Brandon DeFazio helped the hosts to a 2-0 lead at 7:42 of the second, when he walked out from behind the HERSHEY net and backhanded a shot past Sabourin.
After the BEARS took their timeout, Greentree took over. His ninth of the season came at 10:20, when he redirected Patrick McNeill’s point shot over the glove hand of Penguins goaltender Brad Thiessen. He scored a power-play goal just 41 seconds later, depositing the rebound of Chris Bourque’s shot off of Thiessen’s right pad.
In a game featuring 19 combined power plays, the Penguins won the battle when Street tipped Joey Mormina’s slap shot from the left point through Sabourin at 13:58 of the third. Nick Petersen iced the victory with an empty-net power play goal in the game’s final 16 seconds.
Sabourin drops to 18-11-5 with 25 saves on 28 shots. Thiessen improves to 22-14-2 with 22 saves.
The BEARS ended the night 1-for-9 on the power play and 7-for-10 on the penalty kill.
The BEARS return home for their final two regular-season games at GIANT Center tomorrow, April 7 at 7:00 PM against the Syracuse Crunch, and Sunday, April 8 at 5:00 PM against the Connecticut Whale. Tickets for these games are on sale by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or by visiting ticketmaster.com.
- Phantoms Top Bears 5-2 in Outdoor Classic
- Outdoor Classic Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Defeat Flyers in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game, 9-5
- Outdoor Classic Starts with Bears/Flyers Alumni Game
- Fan's Guide to the Outdoor Classic
- Springfield Edges Hershey in Shootout, 5-4
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m.
- Weekly Release #15: Outdoor Classic Preview
- Ray Bourque to Play in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game
- Rising Artist Runaway June to Headline Pepsi Fan Fest