GREENTREE SCORES BOTH IN 4-2 SETBACK
WILKES-BARRE TOWNSHIP, Pa. – Ben Street scored the game-winning goal with 6:02 remaining, overshadowing Kyle Greentree’s two goal effort and helping the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to a 4-2 win on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
The BEARS killed off three Penguins power plays before the first period was complete, but couldn’t hold off the fourth as Geoff Walker stationed himself at the net front to deflect a Jason Williams slap pass over Dany Sabourin’s shoulder. The goal gave the Penguins a 1-0 lead with 53.7 seconds remaining in the period.
Brandon DeFazio helped the hosts to a 2-0 lead at 7:42 of the second, when he walked out from behind the HERSHEY net and backhanded a shot past Sabourin.
After the BEARS took their timeout, Greentree took over. His ninth of the season came at 10:20, when he redirected Patrick McNeill’s point shot over the glove hand of Penguins goaltender Brad Thiessen. He scored a power-play goal just 41 seconds later, depositing the rebound of Chris Bourque’s shot off of Thiessen’s right pad.
In a game featuring 19 combined power plays, the Penguins won the battle when Street tipped Joey Mormina’s slap shot from the left point through Sabourin at 13:58 of the third. Nick Petersen iced the victory with an empty-net power play goal in the game’s final 16 seconds.
Sabourin drops to 18-11-5 with 25 saves on 28 shots. Thiessen improves to 22-14-2 with 22 saves.
The BEARS ended the night 1-for-9 on the power play and 7-for-10 on the penalty kill.
The BEARS return home for their final two regular-season games at GIANT Center tomorrow, April 7 at 7:00 PM against the Syracuse Crunch, and Sunday, April 8 at 5:00 PM against the Connecticut Whale. Tickets for these games are on sale by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or by visiting ticketmaster.com.
- Hershey Bears Weekly Release #1
- Bears Recall Leach From South Carolina
- Vanecek Strong In Losing Effort as Bears Fall 3-0 In Binghamton
- Tonight's Game Preview: Bears at Senators
- Vrana's Two Goals Not Enough as Bears Fall in Rochester, 5-4
- Tonight's Game Preview: Bears at Americans
- Washington Capitals Extend Affiliation with Hershey Bears
- Hershey Bears' Current Training Camp Roster
- Hershey Bears Announce 2016 Training Camp Schedule
- Hershey Bears Make New Additions to Coaching & Equipment Staff