BRYAN HELMER RETURNING TO HERSHEY IN 2009-10
07/28/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 28, 2009 CONTACT: John Walton – HERSHEY BEARS – (717) 682-6470 DEFENSEMAN BRYAN HELMER RETURNS TO HERSHEY FOR 2009-10 SEASON CAPTAIN OF HERSHEY'S 2009 CALDER CUP CHAMPION SQUAD BACK IN A CHOCOLATE AND WHITE SWEATER FOR THE UPCOMING CAMPAIGN HERSHEY – The 2009 Calder Cup Champion HERSHEY BEARS announced today the signing of defenseman Bryan Helmer to a contract for the upcoming 2009-10 season. The announcement was made today by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst. Helmer, 37, enjoyed a storybook season in 2008-09, serving as team captain on the way to HERSHEY'S Calder Cup triumph this past June. The rearguard from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario also was named captain of the Canadian AHL All-Star team in January, and played 12 games in the NHL with the Washington Capitals. His action in the NHL was his first since 2003-04. During his stint in Washington, Helmer was named number one star of the game on December 26, notching two assists in a game against the Buffalo Sabres at Verizon Center. Helmer played in 63 games for the BEARS last season, recording 27 points and 59 penalty minutes. His Calder Cup win was his second of his long and distinguished career, having also won in 1995 with the Albany River Rats. "Bryan was a terrific leader in our dressing room during our Calder Cup run last year" said BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst. "We are very pleased that that leadership will return again next season." Season tickets for the 2009-10 season are on sale now by calling (717) 508-BEAR. Several ticket plans are available. The 2009-10 schedule will be released by the American Hockey League in early August.
- NewBears Blanked by IceHogs, 5-0
- NewGame Preview: Bears at IceHogs, 5 p.m. ET
- Bears Beat Grand Rapids 4-2 to Earn First Win
- Game Preview: Bears at Griffins, 7 p.m.
- Bears Fall in Milwaukee, 4-1
- Game Preview: Bears at Admirals, 8 p.m.
- Lindros, Flyers Alumni to Battle Bears Alumni at Outdoor Classic
- Weekly Release #2: Bears Head to the Midwest
- Hershey's Don Biggs Named to 2018 AHL Hall of Fame Class
- Bears Rally Late, Fall 4-3 to Phantoms in Shootout