NORFOLK DOWNS BEARS 3-2 WEDNESDAY
04/01/2009 - ADMIRALS EDGE HERSHEY 3-2 TO OPEN APRIL By: John Walton The BEARS dropped its first game of a four-game road trip Wednesday, falling 3-2 in regulation to the Norfolk Admirals at Norfolk Scope. HERSHEY got off to a great start in the game's opening minute when Chris Bourque scored his 21st goal of the season just 51 seconds into the game. Alexandre Giroux slid the puck across to Bourque, who buried the puck against Norfolk goaltender Craig Kowalski. But Norfolk would rally with two goals late in the period to take a 2-1 lead to intermission. Blair Jones picked up his 18th goal of the year with a right circle shot at 14:55 and Radek Smolenak picked up his 22nd goal of the year at 16:36. Norfolk led 2-1 after one. Michal Neuvirth was pulled from the game with an undisclosed injury, and Daren Machesney would allow a goal to John Swanson at 10:48. Alexandre Giroux would pick up his 55th goal of the season 1:01 into the third period, but the BEARS could not find the equalizer the rest of the way. The loss was just the 21st in regulation this season for HERSHEY with five games left in the regular season. Notes: The BEARS will ride back to HERSHEY after the game, and depart for Bridgeport on Thursday. The second game of the current four-game road trip will be Friday at the Arena at Harbor Yard against the Sound Tigers at 7:00 p.m. The team will be at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Saturday before heading to Philadelphia next Friday. HERSHEY'S final two home games of the season will be Saturday, April 11 and Sunday, April 12 against Philly and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Call the GIANT Center box office for ticket information at (717) 534-3911. Bears Radio Network Three Stars of the Game: 1. Craig Kowalski (Strong game between the pipes for Admirals) 2. Alexandre Giroux (Scored 55th goal to extend team record) 3. Chris Bourque (Scored game's first goal in first minute)
- NewBears Partner with MeiGray for Outdoor Classic Auction
- NewBoyd Re-Assigned to Bears
- Capitals Recall Copley, Carlson Re-Assigned to Bears
- Weekly Release #24: Home-and-Home With Hartford On Tap
- Bears Can't Overcome Penguins in 6-4 Loss
- Game Preview: Hershey at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 3:05 p.m.
- Walker Leads Bears to 4-2 Win on St. Patrick's Day
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Earn 3-2 Comeback Win Over Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m.