Pilon Lifts Bears to Overtime Win Over Pens
March 19, 2019The Hershey Bears closed their 12-game season series against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with a dramatic, 1-0 overtime win on Tuesday night at Giant Center. Vitek Vanecek recorded his second shutout of the season, and ninth in his American Hockey League career, after stopping all 17 shots in net. The Bears conclude their season series against the Baby Pens with a 9-2-0-1 record.
Vanecek and Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry displayed a classic goaltending duel, and played 60 minutes without a single goal scored in regulation. The Hershey netminder stopped a key breakaway in the second period, and Jarry led the Pens penalty kill unit to a 4-for-4 night. Shots at the end of regulation were 38-17 Bears.
At 1:14 of the sudden-death overtime, Garrett Pilon ended the game with a snipe on Jarry over the glove-hand. Pilon broke down the right wing with speed following a headman pass from fellow forward Mike Sgarbossa. The 1-0 win marks Hershey's fourth shutout of the season, and second coming by a score of 1-0 in overtime. On Jan. 16, the Bears extended their eventual historic, 17-game point streak to three games in a 1-0 overtime win over the Binghamton Devils. Ryan Sproul scored the lone goal for the Chocolate and White.
The victory tonight extends Hershey's current point streak to seven games. The Bears return to action on Saturday, Mar. 23 with the first of back-to-back games against the Cleveland Monsters. Puck drop from Quicken Loans Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
- Bears Release 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Bears Add Defender Tariq Hammond on AHL Deal
- Summer Mailbag: Replacing the Big Names, Captains, and More!
- Capital Re-sign Colby Williams to One-Year Deal
- Erik Burgdoerfer Returns to Bears on AHL Contract
- Tommy Hughes Rejoins Bears on AHL Deal
- Free Agency Tracker 2019
- Bears Home Opener Set for Oct. 5 vs. Baby Pens
- Mike King Hired as Video Coach for the Ottawa Senators
- Bears Sign Forward Kale Kessy to AHL Deal