Next Home Game

vs 9-28 / 7 PM
Win Streak Hits Eight as Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout

Win Streak Hits Eight as Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout

February 16, 2019

The Hershey Bears extended their point streak to 14 (13-0-0-1) and win streak to eight with a 3-2 shootout win over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Saturday night at Giant Center. The Bears snapped an 0-for-33 skid against the Phantoms on the power play in the current season-series with a pair of power play strikes. 

In a game decided by special teams, Lehigh Valley grabbed the first goal after capitalizing on an early 5-on-3 power play chance. Jonas Siegenthaler was whistled for a slashing minor at 3:40, and Tyler Lewington was flagged for delay of game only eight seconds later to send the Phantoms to a lengthy two-man advantage. At the 4:36 mark, Corban Knight tallied his first goal of the season after redirecting a T.J. Brennan shot past Ilya Samsonov. Shots after 20 minutes were tied 10-10, and Lehigh Valley finished the period 1-for-3 on the man-advantage.

Next period, the Bears answered by snapping their long power play drought against the Orange and Black. Hershey entered tonight without a single goal on the man-advantage in the season-series against the Phantoms. On the 34th power play try of the season, Mike Sgarbossa released a laser past Phantoms goaltender Alex Lyon at the 11:50 mark to even the game at 1-1. 

On the Bears very next crack on the man-advantage, Jayson Megna hit pay-dirt for his club's first lead of the night. Megna redirected a drive from Riley Barber past Lyon at 18:42. Hershey carried their 2-1 lead into the dressing room after 40 minutes with a 25-19 advantage in shots. 

Clinging to a one goal lead in the third period, the Phantoms found the equalizer with Lyon on the bench for the extra attacker. Tyler Lewington received a two minute minor for high-sticking at 16:51, and Knight cashed in for his second power play goal of the night exactly 2:00 later at 18:51. On the rebound following the initial shot, Knight caught Samsonov out of position to even the score at 18:51. After 60 minutes, shots were 32-27 Bears. Hershey's special teams finished 2-for-6 on the power play and 2-for-4 on the kill. 

Hershey went to their ninth shootout of the season, and Sgarbossa scored for the first time on his ninth attempt in the third round. Samsonov stopped all three shots faced to send Hershey to the victory. The Bears improved their record to 28-20-0-3 on the season with the win. 

Both teams rematch tomorrow, Feb. 17 at the PPL Center in Allentown. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.

Hershey Bears in a victory embrace

Join The Club!

Receive exclusive email with updates and offers.

Sign Me Up