Bears Sign Steve Johnson to Tryout Agreement
Johnson, 24, joins the Bears from the Reading Royals of the ECHL. In his rookie season, the native of Excelsior, Minn. has collected nine points (three goals, six assists) and a +2 rating in 22 games. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound defender scored his first professional goal on Oct. 27 vs. Wheeling.
A standout at the University of Minnesota, Johnson played four seasons for the Golden Gophers, compiling 40 points (six goals, 34 assists) in 119 NCAA games. He helped Minnesota to a regular season championship three different times, as well as a conference tournament title in 2014-15.
Johnson was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the fourth round of the 2014 NHL Draft. He played four games with the Kings AHL affiliate, the Ontario Reign, last season.
The Bears visit Providence on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. and Springfield on Sunday at 3:05 p.m. Both games may be heard on the Bears Radio Network and viewed on AHLTV.
- NewGame Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bear Blow Past Sound Tigers, 5-1
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Rally in Third, Fall in Overtime to Marlies
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Leach Signs AHL Deal, Returns to Stingrays
- Bears Erupt Late, Bolt Past T-Birds 5-3
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Weekly Release #23: Busy Home Stretch Ahead
- Mason Mitchell Re-assigned to South Carolina