BEARS RELEASE FORWARD JAMIE JOHNSON
Johnson, 31, has appeared in eight games with the Bears this season, and has totaled four points (one goal, three assists). He will return to the KHL to play for his most recent team, Riga Dynamo, where he recorded 22 points (eight goals, 14 assists) in 52 games in 2012-13.
“Jamie was given an excellent opportunity to return to the KHL,” Yingst said, “and we wish him nothing but success in his future endeavors.”
Johnson also played the 2008-09 season in Europe with Finland’s TPS Turku, tallying eight goals and 20 assists in 42 games.
In between his two years spent overseas, the 5-10, 185-pound native of London, Ontario had successful campaigns in the American Hockey League. His most recent AHL tenure was spent with the Grand Rapids Griffins, where he recorded 96 points (33 goals, 63 assists) in 154 games from 2010-2012, tying for the Griffins’ scoring lead in 2011-12. In 2009-10, Johnson put up career numbers with 27 goals, 44 assists and 71 points in all 80 games played as the scoring leader of the Rochester Americans.
In his 431-game AHL career, Johnson has racked up 286 points (97 goals, 189 assists) with Iowa, Bridgeport, Albany, Rochester, Grand Rapids and Hershey.
Prior to turning pro, Johnson played four years of junior hockey with the OHL’s Sarnia Sting and Oshawa Generals, totaling 249 points (55 goals, 194 assists) in 262 career games.
- NewGame Preview: IceHogs at Bears, 7 p.m.
- NewWin Streak to Five with 4-2 Victory at Hartford
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 p.m.
- Weekly Release #20: Perfect Canada Trip Has Bears Rolling
- Bears Beat Toronto 5-2 to Win Fourth Straight
- Game Preview: Bears at Marlies, 3 p.m.
- Copley Blanks Senators, 3-0
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 p.m.
- Boyd Scores Four Goals as Hershey Beats Laval, 6-3
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7:30 p.m.