ICECAPS SNEAK BY BEARS
HERSHEY, Pa. – Derek Meech’s second period power-play goal was enough for the St. John’s IceCaps to skate past the HERSHEY BEARS on Saturday night, a 2-1 final score at GIANT Center.
The two teams battled through a scoreless first period, but the BEARS had the first scoring chance not long after the opening faceoff. Barry Almeida raced into the right circle to steal a puck, he cut toward the slot and got a snap shot away that IceCaps goaltender Mark Dekanich turned aside. Each team earned a power play opportunity in the first period but were unable to cash in.
St. John’s cashed in first at 5:19 of the second period, when Eric O’Dell was able to lift the rebound of a shot from Carl Klingberg over Dany Sabourin for the 1-0 lead.
The lead held up until less than two minutes was left to play in the period. Almeida would not be denied on a chance at the top of Dekanich’s crease at 18:46, as he slipped a shot into the vacant left side of the net after Jeff Taffe snuck the puck his way from the right corner.
The BEARS were then sent to a lengthy penalty kill early in the third period when Matt Pope’s stick caught Klingberg up high. After relentless penalty killing, the IceCaps managed to get a shot by Sabourin when Meech’s slap shot from the center point banked off of a BEARS player in into the net at 6:56.
The IceCaps forced the BEARS to take three consecutive icings late in the game, and prevented the hosts to get a chance to tie the game.
Sabourin took the tough loss with 25 saves on 27 shots, and fell to 2-3-0. Dekanich improved to 4-1-0 with 18 saves. The BEARS finished the night 0-for-2 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill.
The BEARS conclude their stretch of three games in three nights with a 5:00 PM faceoff tomorrow, November 11 against the Portland Pirates. Tickets for this game and all HERSHEY BEARS home games are on sale at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or online at TicketMaster.com.
- NewConference Finals Game 4 Preview: Bears at Marlies
- Bears Pull One Win Away from Calder Cup Finals
- Camper Does it Again as Bears Down Marlies in Overtime
- Bears Smother Marlies, Grab Game One Victory
- Bears, ABC27 Announce Road Broadcast Schedule
- WEEKLY RELEASE & PRACTICE SCHEDULE - WEEK 32
- Bears to Face Marlies in Eastern Conference Finals
- Bears Defeat Penguins in OT, Advance to Conference Finals
- Bears Fall to Penguins, Will Host Game Seven
- Bears Push Penguins to Brink with Big Game Five Win