BEARS AGREE TO TERMS WITH FORWARD PHILIPPE CORNET
Cornet, 24, began the 2013-2014 season with the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage before being acquired by the Charlotte Checkers on November 22. In 58 games with the Checkers, Cornet recorded 28 points (13 goals, 15 assists).
The 6-0, 196-pound native of Val-Senneville, Quebec has played parts of four seasons in the AHL with the Oklahoma City Barons, Rampage and Checkers, and has a total of 122 points (59 goals, 63 assists) in 235 regular-season games. He added 16 points (four goals, 12 assists) in two Calder Cup playoff appearances with the Barons, and played for the Western Conference at the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic.
Cornet netted a career-best 24 goals with Oklahoma City in 2011-2012, the same season in which he made his NHL debut with the parent Edmonton Oilers. He recorded his first NHL point, an assist, in his first-ever game on January 31, 2012 against the Colorado Avalanche.
Prior to turning pro, Cornet played four years of junior hockey with Rimouski Oceanic and Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the QMJHL. He posted 224 points (87 goals, 137 assists) in his career, and played for the host city of Rimouski in the 2009 Memorial Cup tournament. He also won a gold medal playing for Team Quebec at the 2006 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.
Cornet was selected by Edmonton in the fifth round (133rd overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Season tickets for the 2014-2015 Hershey Bears regular season are on sale now by calling (717) 508-BEAR. Many different flexible plans are available and start as low as $170.
- NewGame Preview: IceHogs at Bears, 7 p.m.
- NewWin Streak to Five with 4-2 Victory at Hartford
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7:15 p.m.
- Weekly Release #20: Perfect Canada Trip Has Bears Rolling
- Bears Beat Toronto 5-2 to Win Fourth Straight
- Game Preview: Bears at Marlies, 3 p.m.
- Copley Blanks Senators, 3-0
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 p.m.
- Boyd Scores Four Goals as Hershey Beats Laval, 6-3
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 7:30 p.m.