CAPITALS RECALL GOALTENDER PHILIPP GRUBAUER
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have recalled goaltender Philipp Grubauer from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.
Grubauer, 21, has posted a record of 6-4-1 with a 2.10 goals-against average, a .928 save percentage and one shutout in 12 games during his rookie season with Hershey. He spent the first half of the season with Reading of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) and was named a starter in the ECHL All-Star game after compiling a record of 19-5-1 with a 2.30 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage in 26 games played with the Royals. The ECHL Player of the Month for November, Grubauer ranks sixth in goals-against average and tied for fifth in the league in wins despite splitting time between the ECHL and AHL.
The 6’1”, 185-pound goaltender has collected a 42-18-5-1 record in two seasons in the ECHL with South Carolina and Reading. In addition to being named a starter for the 2013 ECHL All-Star Game, Grubauer was named to the 2012 ECHL All-Rookie team last season with South Carolina. The Rosenheim, Germany native represented Germany in the World Junior Championships in 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008, winning the 2010 U-20 D1 gold medal while compiling the best goals-against average and best save percentage in the tournament. He led the Windsor Spitfires to the 2010 Memorial Cup Championship, winning all four games in the Memorial Cup round after helping Windsor win the OHL Championship.
Grubauer was originally drafted in the fourth round, 112th overall, in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He will participate in the Capitals optional morning skate at 11:30 a.m. today and will wear No. 31.
- NewBears Unveil Logo for 80th Anniversary Season
- NewCopley Signs Two-Year Deal with Capitals
- Capitals Re-Sign Djoos to Two-Year Deal
- Schmidt Among Former Bears Selected in Expansion Draft
- Bears Sign 6' 7" Forward Mathias Bau Hansen
- Chris Bourque Returns to Hershey for 2017-18
- Bears Release Guaranteed Dates for 2017-18 Season
- 2017 Offseason Player Tracker
- 2017 Offseason Player Tracker: Forwards
- 2017 Offseason Player Tracker: Defensemen