CAPITALS RECALL FORWARD CASEY WELLMAN
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have recalled forward Casey Wellman from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.
Wellman, 25, has recorded 34 points (10 goals, 24 assists) in 48 games this season with Hershey and San Antonio in the AHL. He has tallied 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in 11 games with Hershey since being acquired from Florida for Zach Hamill on Jan. 31, 2013. Wellman’s combined statistics rank him third in points on the Bears and second in assists. The Brentwood, Calif., native has collected 13 points (four goals, nine assists) in 41 NHL games with Minnesota from 2009-2012, and has recorded 116 points (47 goals, 69 assists) in 147 career AHL games with Houston, Connecticut, San Antonio and Hershey.
The 6’0”, 185-pound forward was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Minnesota in March 2010. He spent two seasons at the University of Massachusetts (Amherst) and compiled 78 points (34 goals, 44 assists) in 75 games and was named to the NCAA Hockey East All-Rookie Team in 2009 and the Hockey East All-Academic Team in 2010.
Wellman will participate in the Capitals morning skate at 10 a.m. on Tuesday. He will wear No. 48.
- NewWeekly Release #16: Bears Look Ahead after Outdoor Classic
- Phantoms Top Bears 5-2 in Outdoor Classic
- Outdoor Classic Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Defeat Flyers in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game, 9-5
- Outdoor Classic Starts with Bears/Flyers Alumni Game
- Fan's Guide to the Outdoor Classic
- Springfield Edges Hershey in Shootout, 5-4
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m.
- Weekly Release #15: Outdoor Classic Preview
- Ray Bourque to Play in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game