BRADEN HOLTBY ASSIGNED TO HERSHEY
03/19/2011 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 19, 2011 Capitals Assign Braden Holtby to Hershey ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have assigned goaltender Braden Holtby to the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. Holtby, 21, appeared in 13 games for the Capitals this season, including his NHL debut Nov. 5, posting a 9-2-2 record, a 1.95 goals-against average and .930 save percentage. In addition, Holtby was named the NHL's First Star of the Week for the week ending Mar. 13. Holtby posted a 4-0-0 record, 1.05 goals-against average, .965 save percentage and one shutout. He recorded his first career shutout on Mar. 9 vs. Edmonton to become the sixth goalie in Capitals history to record his first NHL shutout in 10 games or less, joining Maxime Ouellet (3 games –12/16/03); Dave Parro (4 games –1/15/81); Bob Mason (6 games –12/09/84); Jim Carey (7 games –03/13/95); and Jim Bedard (10 games –01/04/78). The 6'2, 205-pound Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, native is 14-6-2 in 23 games with the Bears this season. He ranks second in the AHL in save percentage (.930%) and third in goals-against average (1.98). Last season, in his first year as a pro, Holtby posted a 24-8-2 record with a 2.32 GAA and a .917 save percentage in 37 games with the Bears. He led the team in wins and was ranked fourth in the AHL, first among rookies, in GAA. He also played in 12 games for South Carolina (ECHL), posting a 7-2-3 record and participating in the ECHL All-Star Game. Holtby was the Capitals' fourth-round choice, 93rd overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- NewWeekly Release #16: Bears Look Ahead after Outdoor Classic
- Phantoms Top Bears 5-2 in Outdoor Classic
- Outdoor Classic Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Defeat Flyers in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game, 9-5
- Outdoor Classic Starts with Bears/Flyers Alumni Game
- Fan's Guide to the Outdoor Classic
- Springfield Edges Hershey in Shootout, 5-4
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m.
- Weekly Release #15: Outdoor Classic Preview
- Ray Bourque to Play in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game