ORESKOVIC, POPE ASSIGNED TO SOUTH CAROLINA
HERSHEY, Pa. – The HERSHEY BEARS announced today that the club has assigned defenseman Phil Oreskovic and right wing Matt Pope to the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL). The announcement was made by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst.
Oreskovic, 25, appeared in six games with the BEARS, posting one assist and nine penalty minutes. Prior to his recall, Oreskovic recorded one assist and 44 penalty minutes in 34 games with the Stingrays.
The North York, Ontario native spent all of the 2010-11 season in HERSHEY, but missed a large portion due to injury and only appeared in 14 regular-season games. He made one Calder Cup Playoff appearance.
The 6-4, 235-lb. blueliner spent his first four professional seasons with the Toronto Marlies (AHL), piling up 315 penalty minutes along with 31 points (four goals, 27 assists) between 2006-2010. Oreskovic earned his first NHL recall to the Toronto Maple Leafs during the 2008-09 season and put up one goal, one assist and 21 penalty minutes in 10 games.
Oreskovic was orginially selected by the Maple Leafs in the third round (82nd overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
Pope, 27, scored three goals and added two assists in 19 contests with HERSHEY, and put up 19 points (seven goals, 12 assists) in 15 games with South Carolina earlier in the season.
The 6-1, 185-lb. native of Langley, BC spent the entire 2010-11 season in the AHL with the San Antonio Rampage, recording four goals, seven assists and 35 penalty minutes in 55 games. He also saw AHL time with the Binghamton Senators and Manitoba Moose from 2008-2010, putting up 16 points (seven goals, nine assists) in 52 total games.
Prior to turning pro, Pope completed four years at Bemidji State University (WCHA), where he totaled 71 points (33 goals, 38 assists) in 143 career games. He was signed by the BEARS to an American Hockey League contract on December 31, 2011.
- NewBears Pull One Win Away from Calder Cup Finals
- Camper Does it Again as Bears Down Marlies in Overtime
- Bears Smother Marlies, Grab Game One Victory
- Bears, ABC27 Announce Road Broadcast Schedule
- WEEKLY RELEASE & PRACTICE SCHEDULE - WEEK 32
- Bears to Face Marlies in Eastern Conference Finals
- Bears Defeat Penguins in OT, Advance to Conference Finals
- Bears Fall to Penguins, Will Host Game Seven
- Bears Push Penguins to Brink with Big Game Five Win
- Hershey Weekly Release & Schedule - Week 31