BOB WOODS NAMED ASSISTANT COACH OF WASHINGTON CAPITALS
06/22/2009 - CONTACT: John Walton – HERSHEY BEARS – (717) 682-6470 HERSHEY – The 2009 Calder Cup Champion HERSHEY BEARS announced today in conjunction with the Washington Capitals that head coach Bob Woods has been named as an assistant coach with the Washington Capitals. The announcement was made today by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst and Capitals VP/GM George McPhee. Woods, who guided the BEARS to the 2009 Calder Cup championship in his first full year as head coach, also won the 1997 Calder Cup with HERSHEY as a defenseman and the 2006 championship as an assistant coach under Bruce Boudreau. Woods will be reunited with Boudreau on the Washington coaching staff. "Bob Woods did an outstanding job in guiding our franchise to a Calder Cup, and he and his family were tremendous assets to our community in their time here," said BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst. "He will be missed in central Pennsylvania, but we wish him the very best in his new role with the Capitals." Capitals vice president and general manager George McPhee, head coach Bruce Boudreau and assistant coach Bob Woods will be available to the media on a conference call at 3 p.m. ET today, June 22, to discuss Woods's appointment as assistant coach. After approximately 15 minutes McPhee will remain on the line to discuss this weekend's NHL Entry Draft. Season tickets for the upcoming 2009-10 season are on sale now by calling (717) 508-BEAR. Several ticket plans are available. The BEARS will announce its schedule for the upcoming 2009-10 season in early August.
- NewGame Preview: Toronto at Hershey, 7 p.m.
- NewBears Dominate Hartford with 6-1 Win
- Game Preview: Hershey at Hartford, 7:15 p.m.
- Capitals Recall Barber and Ness from Hershey
- Boyd Re-Assigned to Hershey
- Hershey Bears Weekly Release #18
- Boyd Recalled to Capitals, Cannata Returns to Hershey
- Capitals Re-Assign Vrana to Hershey
- Bears Fall to Sound Tigers 5-1 Sunday
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 3 p.m.