GIROUX NAMED AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE'S MVP FOR 2008-09
04/10/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 10, 2009 CONTACT: John Walton – HERSHEY BEARS – (717) 682-6470 ALEXANDRE GIROUX AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE'S MOST VALUABLE PLAYER FOR 2008-09 GIROUX'S SEASON INCLUDED GOALS IN A RECORD 15 STRAIGHT GAMES AND POINTS IN 23 IN A ROW HERSHEY – The HERSHEY BEARS announced today in conjunction with the American Hockey League that left wing Alexandre Giroux has been named the 2008-09 Les Cunningham Award winner as the league's most valuable player. The announcement was made today by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst. Giroux, 27, enjoyed an unforgettable month of January this season in which he set an American Hockey League record by scoring a goal in 15 consecutive games, a mark that had stood for over 20 years and was held by NHL legend Brett Hull. He also set a HERSHEY record by notching a point in 23 straight games, eclipsing the record set by Wes Jarvis during the 1981-82 campaign. In all, Giroux scored 18 goals and assisted on nine others for 27 points during the month of January. His 57 goals entering Friday night are a HERSHEY club record for most goals in a single season, shattering the old mark of 53 held by Tony Cassolato after the 1982-83 campaign. A native of Quebec City, Quebec, Giroux also enters the final weekend of the regular season tied with teammate Keith Aucoin for the AHL scoring lead. Both players have 94 points, and look to give HERSHEY the top two scorers in the league for the first time since 1968-69. The BEARS conclude the 2008-09 regular season with a road game in Philadelphia Friday, followed by a pair of home games at GIANT Center. The Phantoms will visit HERSHEY for the final time during the regular season Friday at 7:00 p.m. prior to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coming to town Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are available by calling the GIANT Center box office at (717) 534-3911.
- Phantoms Top Bears 5-2 in Outdoor Classic
- Outdoor Classic Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Defeat Flyers in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game, 9-5
- Outdoor Classic Starts with Bears/Flyers Alumni Game
- Fan's Guide to the Outdoor Classic
- Springfield Edges Hershey in Shootout, 5-4
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m.
- Weekly Release #15: Outdoor Classic Preview
- Ray Bourque to Play in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game
- Rising Artist Runaway June to Headline Pepsi Fan Fest