CAPITALS SIGN DEFENSEMAN JOE FINLEY
04/02/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 2, 2009 Capitals Sign Defenseman Joe Finley ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed defenseman Joe Finley to a two-year entry-level contract beginning next season, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy terms of the deal were not disclosed. Finley, 21, will join the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) on Monday. Finley skated in 27 games for the University of North Dakota this year and recorded two goals and eight assists. He missed 16 games with an injury. The 6'7", 240-pound Edina, Minn., native was a four-time letter winner for North Dakota and helped the Fighting Sioux advance to the Frozen Four in each of his first three years of college. He recorded 35 points (seven goals, 28 assists) in 154 career games and led the team in plus/minus during his sophomore and junior years. He was named to the All-WCHA Academic Team three times. He played one season with the Sioux Falls Stampede of the United States Hockey League before college and recorded 13 points (three goals, 10 assists) and 181 penalty minutes in 55 games. Finley was Washington's first-round choice, 27th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
- NewGame Preview: Toronto at Hershey, 7 p.m.
- NewBears Dominate Hartford with 6-1 Win
- Game Preview: Hershey at Hartford, 7:15 p.m.
- Capitals Recall Barber and Ness from Hershey
- Boyd Re-Assigned to Hershey
- Hershey Bears Weekly Release #18
- Boyd Recalled to Capitals, Cannata Returns to Hershey
- Capitals Re-Assign Vrana to Hershey
- Bears Fall to Sound Tigers 5-1 Sunday
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 3 p.m.