GIROUX ALONE AT THE TOP WITH 54 GOALS, BEARS WIN 7-2
03/28/2009 - GIROUX STANDS ALONE AS BEARS WHIP UP ON TIGERS By: John Walton A night for history at GIANT Center Saturday, as Alexandre Giroux became the franchise's all-time single season goal scoring leader and the BEARS defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 7-2. Keith Aucoin started the scoring for HERSHEY early Saturday night, picking up his 24th goal of the campaign just 7:24 in. Chris Bourque then potted his 20th goal of the year at 8:30 to build up a 2-0 lead. The Chocolate and White kept the offensive wheels rolling late in the period when Aucoin found his second of the period at 18:20. Three points from Aucoin in the first led the BEARS to a 3-0 lead after one. History was made in the second period in rapid succession, as Alexandre Giroux first tied then passed Tony Cassolato's franchise record for goals in a single season. Giroux tied the mark with his 53rd at 12:44 and then set a new HERSHEY mark with his 54th at the 17:16 mark. Graham Mink picked up a milestone goal in the second as well, scoring his 32nd of the season, a new career-best. HERSHEY scored three more times in the second to run its lead out to 6-2, and Andrew Gordon would round out the scoring with an early third period tally. The win gave the BEARS a five-point lead over second place Bridgeport in the East Division race, with HERSHEY holding a game in hand. Goaltender Simeon Varlamov, assigned earlier in the day from Washington, made 38 saves in the victory. Notes: The BEARS will face off with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Sunday to conclude a stretch of four games in five nights at 5:00 p.m. HERSHEY has a seven point edge on the Penguins entering play Sunday. Bears Radio Network Three Stars of the Game: 1. Alexandre Giroux (#12 stands alone, an incredible and now record setting season) 2.Keith Aucoin (Five points, including two first period goals) 3. Graham Mink (Gordie Howe hat trick, goal assist, fight)
- NewWeekly Release #16: Bears Look Ahead after Outdoor Classic
- Phantoms Top Bears 5-2 in Outdoor Classic
- Outdoor Classic Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Bears Defeat Flyers in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game, 9-5
- Outdoor Classic Starts with Bears/Flyers Alumni Game
- Fan's Guide to the Outdoor Classic
- Springfield Edges Hershey in Shootout, 5-4
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m.
- Weekly Release #15: Outdoor Classic Preview
- Ray Bourque to Play in Outdoor Classic Alumni Game