GIROUX RECALLED TO WASHINGTON
03/12/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 12, 2009 Capitals Recall Alexandre Giroux from Hershey ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have recalled the American Hockey League's (AHL) leading goal scorer, forward Alexandre Giroux, from the Hershey Bears, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. Giroux, 27, stands 6'3", 205 pounds and has 46 goals in 54 games with the Bears. He recently set an AHL record with a goal in 15 consecutive games, breaking Brett Hull's mark. Mixed in with his record-setting run, Giroux recorded at least a point in 23 straight AHL games, as he tallied 27 goals and 17 assists from Nov. 15 to Jan. 30. Giroux was named the AHL Player of the Month for January after scoring 18 goals and nine assists in 15 games. He is the AHL's second leading scorer (76 points) behind teammate Keith Aucoin (86 points) despite playing in 11 games for the Capitals this season, where he has one goal and one assist. Giroux has appeared in 21 career NHL games and made his NHL debut during the 2005-06 season when he played in one game for the New York Rangers. His other 20 contests have all come wearing a Capitals sweater and all six of his NHL points have benefited Washington. The Quebec City, Quebec, native was Ottawa's seventh-round draft choice, 213th overall, in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. Giroux, No. 33 with Washington, rejoined the Capitals organization on Feb. 26, 2008, in a trade that sent Joe Motzko to Atlanta. He was an integral member of the Hershey Bears club that advanced to the 2007 Calder Cup finals and was led by current Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau. He paced Hershey in points (70) and goals (42) that year and also tallied 11 points in 19 playoff games.
- Tickets to 2018 Capital Blue Cross Outdoor Classic On Sale Now!
- Pepsi Fan Fest, Alumni Game Added to Outdoor Classic Festivities
- Alex Westlund Named Associate Goaltending Coach
- Capital Blue Cross Named Title Sponsor for 2018 Outdoor Classic
- Season Ticket Holders "Month of Winning" in July
- Broadcaster Blog: Summer So Far
- Hershey Signs Defenseman Paul Geiger to AHL Contract
- Bears Announce 2017 Preseason Schedule
- Bears Re-Sign Defender Hubert Labrie
- Bears Release 2017-18 Schedule