HERSHEY JR. BEARS ARE CHAMPIONS!
02/22/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 22, 2009 CONTACT: John Walton – HERSHEY BEARS – (717) 682-6470 HERSHEY JR. BEARS WIN 2009 QUEBEC CITY INTERNATIONAL PEE-WEE HOCKEY TOURNAMENT SECOND WIN IN MODERN ERA FOR HERSHEY JR. BEARS, WITH A TITLE ALSO ACHIEVED IN 2000, TEAM RETURNS EARLY MONDAY MORNING TO GIANT CENTER HERSHEY – The Hershey Jr. Bears Quebec team has won the 2009 Quebec City International Hockey tournament, claiming the championship today over the Colorado Jr. Avalanche 3-1 at Pepsi Colisee in Quebec City. Often compared to the Little League World Series in the United States, the Quebec International Pee-Wee tournament is in its 50th anniversary season, attracting teams from all over the world. Hockey legends such as Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Guy Lafleur played in the tournament as pee-wee players, as have Mark Messier and Brad Park. Nearly 1,000 players who have played in the tourney have gone on to play in the NHL. It's the second title in the modern era of the tournament for the Hershey Jr. Bears Quebec team, who also won the title in 2000 in Quebec City. The Hershey Jr. Bears defeated the Connecticut Wolves 3-1 on Saturday to advance to the championship game. In 2008, the Jr. Bears also advanced to the championship game, only to lose in overtime. The team, coached by HERSHEY BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst, is due back at GIANT Center approximately 4:00 a.m. Monday morning.
- Lehigh Valley's Overtime Win in Game 3 Extends Series
- Game 3 Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m.
- Weekly Release #27: Bears Look for Sweep at Home Wednesday Night
- Bourque Leads Bears to Game 2 Win
- Walker's OT Goal Gives Hershey 1-0 Win in Game 1
- Stephenson Recalled by Washington
- Bears Weekly Release #26: Playoff Time
- Hershey Opens Playoffs Versus Rival Lehigh Valley
- Bears Blank Bruins, 3-0
- Bears Clinch Playoff Spot with 2-1 Win