ALZNER, HELMER, MACHESNEY ASSIGNED TO HERSHEY
01/21/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – January 21, 2009 Capitals Assign Karl Alzner, Bryan Helmer and Daren Machesney to Hershey ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have assigned defensemen Karl Alzner and Bryan Helmer and goaltender Daren Machesney to the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. Alzner, 20, has played in 26 NHL games this season, recording one goal and three assists. He recorded his first NHL point Dec. 4 in a 5-2 victory over the New York Islanders and recorded his first NHL goal the next game in a 2-1 victory at Toronto on Dec. 6. The 6'2", 206-pound Burnaby, British Columbia, native is third among NHL rookies in ice time. Alzner has played in 20 games this season with Hershey, recording two goals and seven assists. Helmer, 36, played in four games during his most recent recall and now has three assists in 12 games on the season. The 6'2", 208-pound Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, native recorded his first point as a Capital in a 5-2 victory over the New York Islanders. Helmer has played in 33 games this season with Hershey, recording 19 assists. He leads all Hershey defenseman in that category. Machesney, 22, was recalled on Jan. 19. He has now dressed as a backup for the Capitals five times in his career. Machesney is 11-5-1 with a 2.99 GAA and a .879 save percentage for Hershey this season.
- NewGame Preview: Hershey at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 7:05 p.m.
- Bears Sign Steve Weinstein to PTO
- Penguins Score Late, Beat Bears 5-3 Wednesday
- Hershey Bears Weekly Release #13
- Stephenson Re-Assigned to Hershey
- Senators Score Twice in Third to Top Bears, 4-2
- Bears End Skid, Top Phantoms 6-4
- Stephenson Recalled to Washington
- Bears Fall to Phantoms 6-2 Friday
- Hershey Bears Partner With Epic Web Studios for New Mobile App