GIROUX SETS AHL GOAL SCORING RECORD SUNDAY!
01/18/2009 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 18, 2009 BEARS' ALEXANDRE GIROUX SETS AHL RECORD WITH GOALS IN 15 STRAIGHT GAMES SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... Hershey Bears forward Alexandre Giroux has set an American Hockey League record for the longest goal-scoring streak in the league's 73-year history, scoring a goal in his 15th consecutive AHL game in Hershey's 3-2 shootout win over the Worcester Sharks at the Giant Center in Hershey, Pa., on Sunday evening. Giroux beat Sharks goaltender Thomas Greiss on a power play with 6:27 remaining in regulation to tie the score at 2-2. Giroux has scored at least one goal in each of his last 15 AHL games, totaling 22 goals in that span. The streak began on Nov. 26, 2008, and is considered to be intact despite being interrupted by five separate recalls by the parent Washington Capitals. Giroux broke the record held by Moncton Golden Flames forward Brett Hull during the 1986-87 season. Hull scored in 14 straight games en route to a 50-goal season for which he won the Dudley "Red" Garrett Award as the AHL's outstanding rookie. Hull went on to score 741 goals over a 17-year career in the National Hockey League. After Sunday's action, Giroux leads the AHL with 34 goals and ranks second with 51 points in 35 games for Hershey on the season, while adding one goal and one assist in 11 NHL games with Washington. The 27-year-old Quebec City native has already secured his fifth consecutive 30-goal season in the AHL and now has 232 goals and 191 assists for 423 points in 533 career AHL games. In operation since 1936, the AHL continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 82 percent of today's NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and more than 6 million fans have attended AHL games across North America in each of the past seven seasons.
- Hershey Bears Make New Additions to Coaching & Equipment Staff
- Hershey Bears Announce New Broadcaster
- Bears Announce 2016-2017 Promotional & Theme Nights
- Bears Preseason Game Now On Sale
- Hershey Bears Announce 2016-2017 Schedule
- Hershey Bears New Community Report for 2015-2016 Season
- Hershey Bears Announce New Assistant Coach
- Bears Announce New VP of Hockey Operations
- Randall "Randy" Waybright Announces Retirement
- Hershey Bears Sign Hubert Labrie, Colby Williams & Parker Milner