VARLAMOV RECALLED, OSALA AND COLLINS ASSIGNED
12/12/2008 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 12, 2008 Capitals Recall Simeon Varlamov from Hershey, Reassign Oskar Osala and Sean Collins ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have recalled goaltender Simeon Varlamov (SIHM-yahn VAR-la-mohv) from the American Hockey League's (AHL) Hershey Bears and reassigned forward Oskar Osala and defenseman Sean Collin to Hershey, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. Varlamov, 20, is a first-year pro who stands 6'1", 201 pounds. He has played in 13 games for Hershey this year and has a 10-3-0 record. He is tied for third in the league and is first among rookies in wins and is seventh in the league with a 2.34 goals-against average (GAA). He has one shutout on the year. The Samara, Russia, native was the Capitals' first-round choice, 23rd overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He played in 44 games for Yaroslavl in the Russian Super League last year, posting three shutouts and a 2.45 GAA. Varlamov, No. 40 with Washington, was selected to Russia's 2008 World Championship team but missed the competition because of an injury.
- NewCapitals Re-Assign Vrana to Hershey
- NewBears Fall to Sound Tigers 5-1 Sunday
- NewGame Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 3 p.m.
- Vanecek Blanks Bruins, 4-0
- Galiev's Two Goals Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to Bruins
- Sanford and Vrana Recalled by Washington
- Bears Recall Kelly Zajac from South Carolina
- Capitals Acquire Defenseman Tom Gilbert
- Hershey Bears Weekly Release #17
- Cannata Re-Assigned to South Carolina